Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Farm Fresh to You


I am signed up for an amazing service called Farm Fresh To You! Farm Fresh is Community Supported Agriculture, fresh fruits and vegetables are picked from local farms and delivered to your door step!

You will never get bored of your delivery, the fruits and vegetables change weekly as well as seasonally. Often you will get something new you have never tried! Its a great opportunity to expand you horizons and also a great chance to try new recipes. 


When I prepare the box, Its usually at about 5:30 in the morning. I don't always have time to finish everything. I always save my vegetable clippings to make a veggie stock. I learned the hard way that you need to claim your stock! Don't make my mistake, just leave a friendly note.
I try to prepare the products right away and usually have my meals set for a at least a week. I do this so I know what I have, I can make a plan for recipes and nothing gets shoved to the back of the fridge to be discovered covered in mold. I highly recommend making a vegetable stock out of the vegetable scraps.

Depending on what is in your box, your stock with vary a bit. I recently switched from fruits and veggies to just vegetables.  Here are a few of the items in the box this morning. Look at that lettuce, its bigger than my whole head (just ignore the bed head and yesterday's makeup). I got a crazy mushroom I've never used before! That will be fun, Its a Maitake Mushroom!
Here what you can do when making your stock...

1. Fill your biggest pot with water and put it on high heat.
2. Cut the ends or leaves off of the vegetables you want to prepare. Veggies like onions, carrots, celery are best for the stock. I have put in leeks, garlic, fennel, chard, potatoes, bean pods, zucchini, mushrooms, asparagus, corn husk, or squash skin.
3. Throw what you have into the pot and add spices. I like to throw in thyme, basil, parsley, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and whatever else sounds good to grab from the spice rack.
4. Let it boil then simmer for about an hour. From what I have read, veggie stock is different than a chicken stock because the time it boils or simmers doesn't need to be super long to get more flavor out.
5. When you are all done strain out the veggies (your should put them in a compost!) Put the stock in whatever you plan to store it in. (I hear mason jars are pretty popular these days)


* try to avoid veggies that will make a bitter stock or overpower the stock. I usually avoid cabbage, brussels sprouts, broccoli, cauliflower, and turnips. And obviously nothing that is moldy or rotten. 

Now you have vegetable stock ready for any soup your heart desires! Plus there is a good chance you have a lot of other great vegetables that would make your soup even more delicious.

Also, Check out the Farm Fresh website! If you are not in southern California there is most likely something similar near you as well! Just get Googling!




Please Follow us, Like us, Love us, and Subscribe to us! Thank you so much for your support!



No comments:

Post a Comment