Friday, July 19, 2013

Ankle exercises

OK Ankle exercises? Weird, I know. But, your ankles are pretty important and without them you can do all the other fun exercises!  So if you have weak ankles or you are having pain in your ankles during other work outs, this might help you out!

I was a soccer player "back in the day" and I always had to wear ankle braces while playing. I  hurt my ankles more times than I can remember. What is crazy is that they still give me trouble. You would expect them to hurt after running a lot or when doing a workout that involves a lot of jumping or balancing like Piloxing, or bar method. Don't get me wrong, they totally do, but they also drive me crazy when I am horseback riding.

I have been working really hard to get ready for a Horseshow I have coming up and when I started wearing new boots and couldn't fit  my ankle brace inside, I thought my foot was  going to snap off! After complaining about it, Aaron said, "Why don't you just strengthen it?" Well there is a genius idea!

Well after years of saying I was going to strengthen my ankle, I finally decided to do something!  I did a bunch of research and these are the exercises I found and what my PT friends suggested!

Also I am NOT a doctor, I repeat I am NOT a doctor! Just sharing what I found to be helpful!
Ok here we go!

1. Plantor Flexion

Oh, I'm sorry were you not able to see that, yea I wasn't really able to do it either...
Plantor Flexion (Take 2)



Put a resistance band around the ball of your foot and press forward. Do 3 sets of 20



2. Ankel Presses

Put resistance band around your feet with enough tension to create some resistance then alternate pressing each toe forward. Do 3 sets of 20

3. Ankle Circles

Just like it sounds, make circles with your foot. Around and around and around. Do 3 sets of 20.


4.Calf raises

Raise up onto your toe for a few seconds and then back down slowly. Do 3 sets of 20.

If you are doing this outside, I recommend putting any pets you might have in the house! 

5.Eversion
Use the resistance band around your foot and press foot towards the outside of your body. DO 3 sets of 20.

6. Inversion
Use the resistance band and press foot towards the inside of your body. Do 3 sets of 20!

7. Dorsiflexion

Use resistance band around your foot and pull y our toes back towards your body then release. You guessed it, do 3 sets of 20!


So there you have a it! A bunch of exercises I have been doing to try to strengthen my ankle. Hopefully they work for you too! If not you can always check out some of these suggestions.


Its says Broken ankle, but the website had the exact same exercises for a sprained ankle. I'm guessing these are just good exercises to strengthen an ankle. But like I said, I'm no doctor.



After your ankle has recovered it is up to you, do you want to get a free pair a flats, or are you gonna go for some heals and really test it! Well, you can pick whatever you want. Click Here to enter our Just Fab shoe giveaway! Last day to enter is July 21st!


Please Follow us, Like us, Watch us, and Subscribe to us! Thank you so much for your support! 








No comments:

Post a Comment