Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Fava Bean and Asparagus Polenta

Get ready for a delicious, healthy, gluten-free, and did I mention DELICIOUS recipe!

I had Fava beans and asparagus from my most recent Farm Fresh box and I had never cooked with fava beans before. So, I googled a few things and got some ideas for a recipe.

What you will need:
1lb fava beans
1 bunch of asparagus
2 cups polenta
1 clove of garlic
1 small onion
1tbs butter (or imitation butter)
1/2 cup almond milk
salt and pepper



Start  boiling some water for the beans and eventually the asparagus. While it is heating up, take fava beans out of the pods. 

After you toss the fava beans into the boiling water, chop up the asparagus into inch long pieces. When the fava beans are done you can scoop them out with a "holy spoon" and place them aside. Use the same water to cook the asparagus. Only cook the asparagus for about 2 minutes then strain it and pour cold water over it. 

Sautee some garlic and onions with olive oil, salt and pepper.

After the fava beans have cooled a bit, just pop them out of the shell! (this part is fun!) You might need to use a knife to start a hole on one side to squeeze them out.

I cheated and got some pre-made polenta from Whole Foods. You can do that or make your own. In a separate pot, I added some almond milk to the polenta to make it  a bit creamier!

After all the fava beans have popped, toss them into the garlic and onion mix with 1 tbs of butter. 


I chose to toss the polenta in with the mix and cook it together for a few minutes. You could also pour the mix on top of the polenta. 

And there you have it! Serve and sprinkle a bit of parmesan cheese on top if your heart desires! 


Oh. My. God.  when we ate this it was so freaking good! We ate it all and were so sad that it was gone. I recommend doubling the recipe. I know I will the next time I make it!


Dont forget to save all the veggie scraps for your compost!




Please Follow us, Like us, Watch us, and Subscribe to us! Thank you so much for your support! 




No comments:

Post a Comment