Thursday, June 6, 2013

Big Bear Getaway


I recently went to Big Bear Lake, Ca for the first time to celebrate my anniversary and I fell in Love! Big Bear isn't just for skiing and snowboarding, its fun and beautiful when the snow is gone too!


 We rented a cabin from Big Bear Cool Cabins. They have cabins all over big bear lake from small one bedroom cabins to massive lodges that can hold 15-20 people! I was really impressed with the cabin we stayed in. It was very charming and rustic. Everything was VERY clean and it was stocked with everything we could possibly need! 



Our home away from home! Renting the cabin allowed us to bring Harley, cook for ourselves, and roast marshmallows in the fireplace.


This was my lil kitchen for the weekend. It was stocked with pots, pans, dishes, silverware, cooking utensils and BIG bowls for popcorn! It was also really really clean which was a pleasant surprise. By the time we got there we were both starving after the drive so I made the perfect rustic cabin dinner!


Tomato soup and grilled cheese! Doesn't get any better than this! After dinner we took a nice walk around the lake to look at some of the beautiful cabins and enjoy the fabulous weather! Gotta love Southern California, even in the mountains its beautiful!

After our walk we realized that we need to get some wood and some  marshmallows! We were in luck! The local market down the street had everything we needed. Even Aaron was able to get what he needed to make some S'mores!

While roasting marshmallows we played one of the board games we found in the back room. It had been such a long time since either of us had  played we actually had to google the rules. Gotta love old board games! (In case you were wondering...I won)


It was Mrs. Peacock with the Candlestick in the Study!

Oh, the cabin had a hot tub! It was small but it did the trick! We got there and the water was FREEZING but it warmed up very quickly and we were good to go! 


 The second night, we had an amazing dinner at Sweet Basil. If you are in Big Bear I recommend finding it! It is just a little bit away from the main street, but they have their own parking lot so no excuse! Also, its in a big barn that shares a bowling ally! Perfect date night spot! I called ahead and asked about gluten free options and they were very helpful and listed lots of things off the menu I could eat! The food and the service were great!

Even though Sweet Basil had a fantastic dessert menu, we wanted to head back to the cabin to have marshmallows for dessert!



I'm obsessed with marshmallows!!!!



I went back for seconds and thirds... then I lost count!



Another thing I loved about the cabin was the location! It was hidden enough that it was nice and quiet (except the woodpecker that took his post around 9:00am), but close enough to restaurants and shops that we could take a nice walk! Breakfast the first morning included a nice walk along the lake to Tea and Coffee Exchange! Aaron got a great breakfast crape and I got a gluten free cookie and a latte with almond milk!


It was such a hot day that after lunch we needed a refreshment! So we headed back to the Tea and Coffee Exchange for something refreshing!


While cooling down I took a look around to check out what they had inside. If you like tea, you will be in heaven! They have about every type of tea you can imagine! Including tea martini drink mixes! What!


If you are a fan of tea, I recommend checking this place out! 

I'm already ready to take another trip to big bear! I'm sure I will discover many more fantastic places! As you can, there are plenty of options! It's huge! It really reminded me of camping in the Adirondacks with my family back in NY as a kid. If you need a weekend away from the craziness of the city and work and the constant go-go-go, this is the place! 


Make sure you check out Cool Cabins... I'm making plans for a big couples weekend and I want to stay here! How amazing does this place look! Looks like it is available the end of August, hmmmm...we shall see!


Please Follow us, Like us, Love us, and Subscribe to us! Thank you so much for your support!



No comments:

Post a Comment