Thursday, January 9, 2014

Delgado Diet Review

Well it has been a little over a month on the Delgado Diet and I think it is time to let you know how it went!


Just in case you are not sure what I'm talking about, be sure to check out  the video I posted last month here.


What I loved about the diet...

I felt great the whole time I was on diet. I was never hungry since it did not limit what I could eat, but I also never had an overly full feeling. It was a nice balance with a lot of options.

I totally lost a few pounds... during the holidays! I think that could be rephrased as, I did the impossible. It is clearly a diet that would be helpful for anyone not only trying to eat healthier, but also anyone who wants to lose a few pounds.

I learned quite a few alternative ways to make my old favorite dishes as well as quite a few new dishes that are gluten free, dairy free and oil free. It took some extra visits to the grocery store or farmers markets and lots of conversations with the helpful Whole Foods employees.

Because I was on the diet I was more aware of what I was eating and learned a lot more about the foods I used to snag up when I was in a hurry. Some were great options, some not so much. It also got me into a habit of bringing more fruit and veggies as snacks to munch on at work.

The Simply Healthy Cookbook introduced hundreds of gluten free recipes to me that I think I can spend a full year exploring and learning from. It is just a bonus that they are also soy free, dairy free and oil free. This is a great cookbook regardless of whether you plan to go on the diet.


What I didn't love about the diet...

It definitely takes a lot of planning and time to prep everything. I tried to do as much as I could over the weekends and because of the holiday season I had extra days off from work where I could do some cooking. However I can see how it would get pretty exhausting and difficult to keep up with.

This next one is a personal dislike that probably wont be an issue for most of you. Because of my diabetes, there are quite a few times that I need to eat food asap. When that happens sometimes I don't have a lot of time to make a choice.  Most of the time I used juice or fruit, but there were some times when I would grab a granola bar, some cookies or chips to get the job done quick.

This did make being social a bit of a challenge. Going to restaurants or dinner parties was pretty difficult if I wasn't cooking.  But I did discover some new restaurants that are very accommodating and have some great options.


What I am taking from the diet...

I have decided to continue eating dairy free. I have felt great and realized how easy it is so I'm sticking to it! (p.s. I have mentioned this to a few people and every time got the "I could never live without cheese" line. Yes, you totally can, you just have to want to.)

I'm going to continue to use the new tips and tricks I picked up to use an alternative to oils for most of my cooking. Not all just because I think a little bit of coconut or olive oil every once in a while isn't too bad. I know I could live without them, but currently they are something I'm not quite ready to let go.

I will continue to leave the majority of soy out of my diet with the exception of edemame and the occasional tofu when an alternative or better option is not available. To be honest I never actually liked soy milk and preferred almond, coconut or hemp milk. So this one isn't really a big change.

And obviously I'll continue to be gluten free :)


Check out my video review here!


Let me know what you think about this diet. Do you think it is something that would be good for you? Will you give it a try?


You can get the cookbook here!

Please Follow us, Like us, Watch us, and Subscribe to us! Thank you so much for your support!


No comments:

Post a Comment